Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My English Language Learning Journey (Draft 2)

Since young, I was not particularly interested in the English language. I would avoid studying English whenever I could, and sometimes even left my English homework and spelling exercises undone. On occasions where I had done my English exercises, it was completed rather halfheartedly. To make learning the language worse, I had little to no interest in reading English novels. Therefore, without doubt, my English standard is far from great. 

It was only after my internship attachment, where I had to write minutes, formal emails and business reports, did I finally realize how important the ability to write and speak English well is. I truly regret not putting in more effort in studying English when I was young. If given a second chance I would definitely place more emphasis on English.

In an effort to improve my writing skills, I bought myself a kindle earlier this year. This gave me the motivation and push I needed to read more and make worth the money spent. During the long holiday break before university, I pushed myself to read as frequently and as widely as possible. 

I believe that in order to write well, a person must first be well read. It is only through reading that one will gain knowledge. While reading, we will subconsciously learn the correct grammar usage, sentence structure and so on. 

Thus, even though I have less free time since university has started, I will still try my best to read as  frequently as possible to continue improving my English. 

No comments:

Post a Comment