Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My English Learning Journey


Since young, I wasn't particularly interested in the English language. I would avoid studying English whenever I could, and sometimes even left my English homework and spelling exercises undone. On occasions where I had done my English exercises, it was completed rather halfheartedly. To make learning the language worse, I had little to no interest in reading English novels. Therefore, without doubt, my English standard is far from great.

It was only after my internship attachment, where I had to write minutes, formal emails and business reports, did I finally realize how important the ability to write and speak English well is. I truly regret not putting in more effort in studying English when I was young. If given a second chance I would definitely place more emphasis on English.

In an effort to improve my writing skills, I bought myself a kindle earlier this year. This gave me the motivation and push I needed to read more to make worth the money spent. During the long holiday break before university, I pushed myself to read as frequently as possible. Even though I have less free time since university has started, I will still try my best to read frequently as possible to continue improving my English. 

3 comments:

  1. This is a clear reflection, Kelly. You document rather succinctly your lack of interest in English when you were younger. You then proceed to show how more recently you have learned of the relevance for your language development and how that has impacted your attitude.

    My only question is about your final paragraph. While you state that you bought a Kindle that will allow you to read more, you don't explain how that might affect your writing. Clearly, there is a connection between writing and reading. But what is it, in your opinion?

    In any case, thank you for a fine effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly,

    Good job on the great reflection. I could totally relate to your reflection especially the part on your internship attachment. It was then too,when I realize that the ability to write English was so important.

    In another note, I agree with Mr Brad, about your final paragraph. I wish you would have elaborate more on how reading more will improve your writing. Are you planning to write as well, just like the authors of those books that you are reading, in order to improve your writing?

    Regards,
    naz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kelly

    Thank you for putting effort on this essay. It is really a great and nice reflection. Honestly, I do not see any error in your post. The structure is clear, from childhood period until your internship period, you realize the importance of English, and now you decided to keep improving your English language by reading more, which this is great.
    However, in my opinion, if you want to master a language, no matter which language, you have to listen more, read more and write more.
    Last point I want to point out is that, better not to use the short form like"wasn't" in your first sentence for writing a essay, it is not formal, in another word, not prescriptive. =)

    Best Regards,
    Renfei

    ReplyDelete