Monday, November 11, 2013

The Next Stage For My Learning – Critical Reflection (Revised)

Though I had failed the QET test, I was honestly rather happy to take ES1102. I felt that I needed help to improve my writing skills, and ES1102 could help facilitate the transition from polytechnic to university level academic writing. The workload of ES1102 is quite heavy; essay drafts were due every other lesson. Considering that it is a non-credit bearing module, the workload seemed to be disproportionate. However, I found ES1102 to be very useful in improving my essay writing skills and language. 

For the module, we had to create a blog to share our writing assignments with the class. I felt that the idea of having a blog for academic purposes is great. It allows us to gain feedback to improve our own writing skills. It also makes it more interactive amongst students and helps to facilitate learning. In the psychological context, I believe that as we have to post our works online for others to view and comment, it pushes us to refine the post to the best of our abilities.  Additionally, it allows for easy documentation of our English learning journey through the course. Through ES1102, I’ve learned how to tackle the different types of academic writing assignments and effectively craft thesis statements, summaries and reader responses, just to name a few.


Even though the ES1102 module has wrapped up, the lessons and skills learnt will continue to help me in my English learning journey. Inspired by Brad, I will make it a point to read as widely and as frequently as possible in the future to further improve my language and writing abilities.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly! Last comment ever! Great having you as part of my blogging group(: I agree with your overall thoughts about this module.

    Just some minor stuff:
    The workload of ES1102 is quite high >> quite heavy
    non-credit baring module >> bearing
    I felt that the idea of a blog for academic purposes is great >> idea of having a blog
    I believe that as we have to post our works >> I believe that having to post our works

    Taa~ Enjoy the rest of your NUS school life! See you around! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kelly, for sharing your thoughts on the value of ES1102 and how it has helped you refine your writing skills. I'm especially interested to read your thoughts on the blogging, and it warms my heart to know that you feel that it facilitated your learning.

    All the best to you as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete